Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Welcome back to GHS

After watching my baby suffer with horrible reflux for almost two weeks with no relief, I couldn't take it anymore.  His breathing was continuing to be affected and he was just generally miserable.  Sunday night I didn't sleep and couldn't hold myself together early Monday morning.  I didn't know how to articulate what was going on, but I knew it wasn't right and we needed help.  I called the answering service for both our pediatrican and cardiologist. 

I was able to get in touch with the pediatrician first and they wanted me to come in immediately.  Our doctor was not in the office, but one of her partners saw us and took great care of us.  We ended up heading out the door in yet another ambulance.  This time, however, they put me on the stretcher holding Brinkley.  (What can I say, this little fella is bringing me new adventures everyday.)  You can imagine the looks I got being rolled into the pediatric ER. 

After a consult with cardiology we were admitted.  Dr. Malpass was the cardiologist on call and he said that Brinkley's heart looks better than ever.  (A bright spot in the day!) He assured us that this was not cardiac related and advised me that he felt like Brinkley may be developing chemical pneumonia due to aspirating the reflux.  Dr. Cumar (peds) had said the same thing.  So here we are at Children's Hospital trying to take care of the reflux to prevent this from continuing to happen and to treat the pneumonia if that is occurring (no definite word on that yet). 

I spent the night Monday and didn't sleep due to Brinkley coughing and crying all night.  I was exhausted yesterday!  Bryan stayed last night and has since been moved to PICU.  This is a relief as we will be able to take breaks since he is constantly monitored there.  They had debated moving him yesterday.  They can offer different types of 02 treatments in PICU that aren't available on the floor. 

Please continue to pay for our sweet baby.  Pray for comfort and relief for him and wisdom for the doctors as we try to find a regimen that will better control the reflux. 

*As a side note, I want to say that we could not be more pleased with our pediatrician's office!  We love Dr Godwin and have been impressed with her new partners as well.  If you are in need of a pediatrician I HIGHLY recommend Pediatric Associates of Powdersville.  Dr. Godwin is wonderful and we have had great experiences with Dr Logan and Dr Cumar as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment