Sunday, April 9, 2017

Sick Kids Strong Moms

This morning I came across a video that I have seen posted several times on Facebook.  This time I actually took the time to stop and watch it and read the accompanying article.  It was so timely for both myself and the friend that had posted it. Take a minute and check it out:



This is me.  This is so many of the wonderful women that I have met over the last four and a half years.  You may think you know what I deal with on a daily basis and you may think you understand how I feel.  Unless you have walked this journey you have no idea.  Until you've stood before a medical team and made literal life and death decisions about your child and spent weeks and months in the hospital you can't possibly understand the burden that we bear.  Even as a hospital mom or a medically complex mom, we've all traveled different roads.  We may not know the intricacies of each diagnosis but we have an undeniable bond that others will never understand.  

No matter the decisions that we face and the endless doctor visits, hospital stays, surgeries, and medical procedures I would dare say that most of us agree that we have been incredibly blessed.  I know that sounds ludicrous to most people.  How can all of this be a blessing?  First and foremost, look at the incredible miracle that we get to love and hold in our arms each and every day!  

Second, as Christ followers, we get to see God's hand in tangible ways that others may never experience (or pay attention to). God reveals Himself to us in ways that we would not have understood were we in any other situation.  So many times we walk in Abraham's footprints and lay our children down trusting that the Lord is faithful and will do what he has said.  We wait for our ram and we see miracles happen for us and/or in the families around us.  

Third, we have each other!  I wish I had the words to explain to you the incredible blessing that it is to look at another mom and see it.  You don't even have to say a word.  You can see it in her eyes.  She gets you!  She gets it!  Our stories may be different but our hearts are the same.  Her child may be primarily dealing with neurology while I'm dealing with cardiology, but we get it!  I have met some incredible women over the last few years.  They get me, inspire me, and challenge me!  Some of them I've met at the hospital or through other parents.  Many of them I've met at our therapy center.  While our kids are getting their physical, occupational, and speech therapy we get a little therapy of our own.  I look forward to those days each week knowing that, even if for just a short time, I can just be me!  If no other time, for those couple of hours that day someone truly understands and gets me.  I love my support system and look forward to those days all week.  You ladies know who you are and I love you and am blessed and proud to call you friend!


No comments:

Post a Comment