Sunday, April 9, 2017

A Poop Standoff

If you know much about Brinkley, you know he is stubborn and quite determined to do things his own way in his own time.  (Anyone follow the apology standoff a couple of months ago?)  This hospital admission has been no different.  

We checked in dark and early Monday morning for his heart cath and we've been here ever since.  The cath went well and they ballooned his right pulmonary artery.  We were admitted for observation overnight.  In the process, we found out that there were some issues that had arisen with the OR and surgeon's schedule so we were on standby for surgery.  It worked out that we were able to get an OR and have the surgery on Wednesday (the original plan was Thursday).  Surgery went well and as planned.  He spent the night in the PCICU (Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit).  He had some episodes where he would scream out with pain and squirm around like he was trying to get relief from the pain.  This happened periodically over the next few days with most of the episodes being through the night.  (Very little sleep was had by anyone.)  

We determined that these seemed to be related to the fact that he had not pooped since Monday.  The gut may have already been irritated and full when he went into surgery.  The fact that he is so small and the GI tract is so close to the area where they were working made it feasible that he was having severe gas pain.   Add that pain to the pain from the incision (C-section moms you know what I'm talking about) and it was a recipe for disaster.  At the same time, his incision started draining (clear fluid not puss).  The thought was that the pressure from the gas pains may be causing the drainage.  

We started a protocol to remedy the poop standoff.  Apparently, Brink's GI tract is just as stubborn as he is and things have not moved very quickly even with interventions.  Yesterday we finally got a little poop and we've been more than 24 hours without a pain episode.  However, the drainage has not stopped.  It does appear to have drained less in the last 24 hours, but it hasn't stopped.  

The head of cardiology and the attending pediatrician are both pleased with his progress on the general side of things and are ready to send him home.  At this point, we are waiting on the surgeon to feel the same.  Our surgeon is not on duty this weekend so we've been seeing his partner this weekend.  We should see him tomorrow and hopefully get a better idea of what to expect.  

For now, we will continue to wait for some more poop action and the drainage to stop.  In the meantime, big brother is enjoying the beach.  Brink's a little jealous (mom too)!

No comments:

Post a Comment